Thursday, 16 August 2012

Glasgow walk - Circular walk from Linn Park

                                                                             View Linn Park in a larger map

I recently went on a walk organised by Glasgow City Council from Linn Park through Kings Park,  Castlemilk Park, Cathkin Braes and back to Linn Park. This was roughly 10 miles and involved much climbing.

Our guild was Gary who was able to point out many interesting things throughout the walk. Linn Park is located in the south of the city - 'linn' is the Scottish word for waterfall. 

Waterfall at Linn Park
 Maxwell Family

The land was originally owned by the Maxwell Family who were based at Pollok House. The remains of Cathcart Castle are located in the north of the park and a larger mansion house built by shipping merchant Colin Campbell has been converted into private homes.

 Himalayan Balsam

There are a number of woodland walks in the park and our walk took us north-eastwards towards Kings Park. Much of the walk through the park was along the banks of the River Cart and Gary pointed out many of the plants and trees along the way. There were many Himalayan Balsam plants along the riverbank. These are attractive pink flowers which were introduced inthe the UK in 1839 and which are now a major weed problem.

Himalayan balsam tolerates low light levels and also shades out other vegetation which gradually kills off other plants.

Himalayan Balsam
 Holmwood House

During the walk through Linn Park we passed Holmwood House which was originally build for James Couper who had a papermill in the area. It is now in the ownership of the National Trust for Scotland. The house was designed by Alexander 'Greek' Thomson in in 1857-8 and was influenced by classical designs. it is well worth a visit.

Snuff Mill Road
 Snuff Mill Road

Our walk continued to the end of the parkland when we arrived at Snuff Mill Road in Cathcart.This was an area, which as the name suggests, contained a mill. The original mill was built in the18th century as Cathcart Meal Mill and became a cardboard mill in 1812 for Solomon Lindsay of Penicuik. In 1814 a snuff mill was added. The River Cart was an important river for industrial use.

 Kings Park

After a short walk through old Cathcart and its magnificent houses we arrived at our next park - Kings Park. This originally was a private estate containing Aikenhead House and its grounds, which was gifted to Glasgow Corporation in May 1930. This was developed by the  Corporation and renamed King's Park.

 Aitkenhead House

Kings Park is much smaller than Linn Park, but is still a beautiful park. As we walked through the park we could see Aitkenhead House, which was built by John Gordon. Aikenhead House, as it now stands, was built in 1806, and wings were added to it in 1823 from designs of the celebrated architect, David Hamilton.

Aitkenhead House
 Castlemilk Park

After exiting the park, we walked along a residential street before arriving at Castlemilk Park. On the grass verge was a stone canoe, which was a pleasant addition to the area. The Council has provided many resources to develop the park into an interesting woodland experience. There were many paths, making it a pleasant walk.

Stone Canoe
 Cathkin Braes

A steep climb took us to the area known as the Cathkin Braes which gave magnificent views of the city. We stopped for lunch before continuing to Carmunnock.

View from Cathkin Braes

On the way to Carmunnock we saw the work which is being carried out to build the mountain bike circuit for the Commonwealth Games in 2014. After the games, the course will be available for use by all cyclists.

Mountain bike route for Commonwealth Games 2014
 Homeward Bound

The walk continued through a pleasant meadow before arriving at a place called Pedmyre. A short walk along a road took us to more woodland which would lead us back to Linn Park and the place where we started the walk. The path was steep in places, but not too difficult. The sunlight filtered through the trees making it a pleasant experience walking in the subdued light.

On this part of the journey we passed some observation buildings remaining from the Second World War.

Buildings remaining from Second World War

Our walk was coming to an end. We left Linn park at 10.00 and at 17.30 we had arrived back to the place where we had started. The walk had been 11 miles through pleasant parkland in the south of Glasgow.

A small hill climb
Plant and Flowers

During the walk we saw some many plants and trees.


tree bark

Review of the Walk

The walk was very enjoyable and well organised. Our guide Gary was able to provide us with very interesting information along the way which added to the enjoyment.

Further Information

Glasgow City Council, Land and Environmental Services, 231George Street, Glasgow, G1 1RX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.