Saturday, 26 January 2013

Monte Carlo Classic Rally 2013 - Glasgow

This afternoon at 14.00 a convoy of classic cars set off from Glasgow on the non-stop 2000 mile 16th Rallye Monte Carlo Historique. It was a beautiful winter day with bright sunshine and mild temperatures. 

While the rest of the UK has experienced heavy snow, the West of Scotland has managed to avoid it.

Cars at the start beside the Doulton Fountain

The rally was first held in 1911 and different European cities of roughly equal distance from Monte Carlo in Monaco are selected for the start. Glasgow Green in the east end of the city  of Glasgow was selected as the starting point and a large crowd of people were there to witness it.

 Route of the Rally

After leaving Glasgow, the cars head for Dover and then over the French Alps, before arriving in Monte Carlo on Tuesday the 29th January. The other host cities for the rally are Barcelona, Reims and Copenhagen. 

All cars in the rally have to be of a similar model to those that took part in a Monte Carlo Rally between 1955 and 1980. If they are entered with a pre-1966 car, competitors will be allowed to select a low average speed.

Australian Entry

Australian 48-215 (FX) Holden 

The oldest car in the rally was an Australian 48-215 (FX) Holden which competed in the rally in 1953.Then it was the only Australian entry in the event and the replica above will attempt to retrace this historic journey.


Lancia Stratos Replica of Nico Alonzi and John Craig






The cars travel through Kilmarnock and Dumfries in Scotland before arriving at Dover. When the cars reach Dover they will cross the English Channel to Calais in France. 

From Calais they will drive to the start of the classification legs at Valence. Then they will take part in the famous concentration runs in the snow of the Alps arriving at the Riviera and Monte Carlo.

Triumph Roadster of Iain Foulds and Pauline Foulds


Anderson Roadster of Gordon Anderson and Nigel De Silva
 Anderson Roadster

The Anderson Special (above) has been built using parts from Volkswagen and Ford cars from the 1970's and made to look like a vintage car. Driver Gordon Anderson and co-pilot Nigel De Silva are planning to go all the way without the hood up which is a brave decision considering they will be travelling over the Alps.

Ebay Car 

The white Porsche 924 Turbo below was bought for 500 GBP on Ebay before being turned into a 1980 replica Monte Carlo Rally car. Team members Rick Pearson and Stewart Pringle managed to complete the 2012 version of the rally and will be hoping for the same result this year.

Car bought on Ebay for 500 GBP
 Origins of the Rally

The rally was created by Prince Albert I 102 years ago in an attempt to bring wealthy car owners to the famous casinos of the French Riviera. The first race was won by Frenchman Henri Rougier in a 25 horse power Turcat-Mery.

 Further Information

http://www.rallyliveresults.com/acm/page-tab-histo.php?id_menu=5&id_sousmenu=27

Sunday, 20 January 2013

Wildlife Walk from Westerton to Kelvingrove, Glasgow.


View Westerton to Kelvingrove in a larger map

At the weekend I went on the Scottish Wildlife Trust walk from Westerton to Kelvingrove Park in Glasgow. The walk followed various waterways including the Forth and Clyde Canal and the River Kelvin. The day was cloudy and just above freezing.

The meeting point was Westerton railway station in the Northwest of the City and was attended by a group of around 20, including two Spanish visitors.  Moira was the leader for the day and had organised everything for an enjoyable day out.

The first part of the walk was along the path adjacent to the Forth and Clyde Canal. The water was icy in some places, but not enough to cause disruption to the lives of the many water birds on the canal.

Birds on the Canal

At the start of the walk, we saw some Moorhen, Black-headed gulls and Tufted ducks on the canal. A short time later we saw a male Greenfinch sitting on a branch of a tree beside the canal path. A Robin was also heard singing as we walked along.


Mute Swans on Forth and Clyde Canal
Mallards on Forth and Clyde Canal

On the canal itself a number of Heron could be seen scanning the water for fish. Usually Heron stay in the same position for a while before flying to other areas of the canal, but these ones did not stay long in the one area before flying to different locations looking for food. It was good to view the Heron in flight.

Canal Locks

Being a canal, we passed a few of the locks around the Maryhill area of the canal.The Forth and Clyde Canal was opened in 1790 and runs from the River Forth in Grangemouth to Bowling in Dunbartonshire. The canal is 35 miles long and in its heyday provided a route for boats to travel through the central belt of Scotland.


Lock 24

Regeneration of the Canal

In 1963 the canal was closed and it became run down and derelict before National Lottery funds were used to regenerate it in the year 2000, as part of the millenium celebrations. Over in the east, at Falkirk, the canal was also improved with the popular tourist attraction, the Falkirk Wheel, opening on 27th May, 2002. The canal walkway is popular with walkers and cyclists and makes for an interesting walk.

On the way we passed locks No 31 to 25 at Maryhill, before turning right and following the footpath along the River Kelvin. We passed a V-shaped weir which was used to power the Kelvindale Paper Mills on Kelvindale Road.

Kelvindale Paper Mills 
 
This mill was founded in around 1720 by James Duncan as Balgray Paper Mill and was then acquired in 1745 by Edward Collins and Son, whose family would dominate paper making in the wider area for generations. A snuff mill was added further along the river, as snuff mills were often appended to paper mills for some reason, which is not apparent. The weir is unusual in that it is in the shape of the letter 'V'.


Weir at former Kelvindale Paper Mills

Other examples of combined paper and snuff mills in the Glasgow area include Netherlee, Millholm and Cathcart, all on the White Cart, south of Glasgow.

North Woodside Flint Mill

This mill was built in 1765 by Archibald Stirling of Kier and was originally used as a barley mill and to grind gunpower during the Napoleonic Wars. In 1846 it was converted into a flint mill. Flint is a hard silicate rock with a glassy appearance which is found in chalk and limestone. It is not common in Scotland and had to be imported.


Remains of North Woodside Flint Mill
Remains of North Woodside Flint Mill
Remains of North Woodside Flint Mill

Flint was used in the pottery industry to lighten the colour of clay, to harden it and to make hard glaze. Flint and glaze were taken by rail to Kelvinbridge Station and then transported by horse-drawn wagons to the mill.

Dipper 

On this part of the river we saw a Dipper on the opposite river bank, looking for food. The path was becoming quite busy now with walkers and cyclists, as well as with many friendly dogs out for their early afternoon walks.

We stopped for some lunch after crossing a footbridge to the other side of the River Kelvin, just behind the Botanic Gardens.


Footbridge leading to Botanic Gardens

Kelvinbridge
 
In front of us we could see the Great Western Bridge, commonly known as Kelvinbridge. This is a fine cast iron bridge which was built in the 19th century to carry the Great Western Road. It provided a crossing point across the boundary of the city and into the neighbouring town of Hillhead, which was incorporated into the city later.
Kelvinbridge

Next to the bridge is Kelvinbridge subway station which is one of the deepest on the underground circuit due to the proximity of the river.

Just after Kelvinbridge, we saw a wall painted with images of Glasgow. This was very well done and a welcome change from looking at bare brick walls.


Murals on wall
Murals on wall
Murals on wall

Kelvingrove Park

Kelvingrove Park was originally known as the West End Park and created by English gardener Sir Joseph Paxton, Head Gardener at Chatsworth House in 1852. His other works included The Crystal Palace in London. It is currently run by Glasgow City Council. The Kelvingrove Art Galleries and Museum are located in the park.


Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

Our walk was coming to an end. We walked through the park towards the Art Gallery and finished up enjoying some refreshments in the cafe there.


Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

The list of birds seen on the walk included:

  • Cormorant
  • Dipper
  • Woodpigeon
  • Magpie
  • Bluetit
  • Greenfinch
  • Blackbird
  • Robin
  • Long-tailled tit
  • Moorhen
  • Black-headed gulls
  • Tufted ducks
  • Mallard ducks
  • Mute swan
  • Goosander
It had been a great day out thanks to Moira who organised the walk.

Further Information:

www.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk